Mr.Manoah Pancharatnam M.B.B.S., F.R.C.S
West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust, Watford, Hemel Hempstead and St.Albans
Bladder and Prostate Cancer and Paediatric surgery
Special clinical interests:
- Radical Cystectomy and Orthotopic Bladder reconstruction
- Nerve sparing Radical Prostatectomy.
Current posts (NHS, University, Private):
- Consultant Urological Surgeon at West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust,
- BUPA hospital Harpenden
- BUPA hospital Bushey.
Year of first medical qualification:
Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies:
- Royal College of Surgeons,
- British Association of Urological Surgeons,
- Royal Society of MedicineBritish Medical Association
- General Medical Council
- Medical protection Society
- Direct telephone number: 01727 897147
- Secretary's name: Claire West
- Secretary's telephone number: 01727 897147
I joined the NHS in 1974 as a pre,reg.house officer and three years later passed the FRCS aged 26. I was on the Guys Surgical rotation which was very busy with plenty of practical experience. I then worked as a Senior registrar at the Institute of Urology,London and the Royal Marsden London.
I was offered the post of Consultant Urologist at King Faisal Hospital in Saudi Arabia and later appointed as the Chief of Urology. During that appointment my interest in reconstruction and my significant experience in General Surgery and Urology helped in the development of the Orthotopic bladder.
On my return to the U.K.,I was appointed as a consultant Urological Surgeon at West Herts Hospitals NHS Trust in 1993.The first Orthotopic Bladder reconstruction was at Hemel Hempstead in August 1995.I have to date carried out successfully 74 Neo Bladder reconstructions.
My other great interest has been in performing Nerve sparing Radical Prostatectomies. I aim to preserve continence and potency where possible, combined with a thorough pelvic Lymphadenectomy thus improving cancer outcomes with the least side effects. Less than 1% of patients have had Blood transfusion in the last six years.
I am married with three children. Both my boys represent Herts County at Cricket Under 14 and 13. Cricket therefore takes up a lot of our time.
Table Tennis,Tennis and Badminton are some of the other interests. We are keen on music, films and theatre when ever time permits. Our favourite holidays are Portugal, America and India.
Please contact the relevant Trust switchboard if you require further information or assistance:
- Watford General Hospital switchboard: 01923 244366
- Hemel Hempstead Hospital switchboard: 01442 213141
- St Albans City Hospital switchboard: 01727 866122