More about Voluntary Services

Voluntary Services

Expenses and parking arrangements

We are always grateful for the time that our volunteers give freely to the Trust, across all our three hospital sites: Hemel Hempstead, St Albans City and Watford General.

We value the service that our volunteers give and do not expect any of our volunteers to be out of pocket whilst carrying out their volunteering roles.

Parking Permits

If you are a volunteer attending meetings, working in our wards, or departments on any site, you can obtain a parking permit from the Security Office.

These offices are situated in the front of Princess Michael of Kent Wing at Watford General Hospital, the security hut at Hemel Hempstead Hospital, and the security hut outside the Gloucester Wing at St Albans City hospital.

This permit will need to be renewed monthly.

You are also able to collect a parking permit security when you are dropping off, collecting, or waiting for your patient to attend their clinic appointment.

Claiming Expenses

You can claim your travel expenses (car, bus, train) if you are:

  • Attending one of our Trust meetings, Committees
  • Carrying out a PLACE (patient-led assessments of the care environment) audit as a patient representative/volunteer
  • Volunteering in one of our wards or departments

The appropriate form, which will be included in your ‘welcome pack’, should be completed and submitted to the Voluntary Services Manager for a BACS payment to be made by the Finance Department, either at the end of each visit or monthly if volunteering regularly.


The Trust is unable to reimburse for taxi fares but would give the equivalent in mileage.

For further details please contact the: Voluntary Services Manager on 01923 217307.