Improving sexual health and increasing the number of patients offered Chlamydia screening within the Trust is one of the key public health priorities in tackling health inequalities.
Rates of diagnosed sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are rising and research suggests that sexual risk taking behaviour is also increasing. Within Hertfordshire the number of people accessing sexual health services is increasing; the majority of residents in West Hertfordshire attend a Genitourinary Medicine clinic within the area.
The Trust is fully committed to improve the availability and accessibility of sexual health services across West Hertfordshire in a partnership approach and consolidate Chlamydia Screening within mainstream services.
- As part of the National Screening Programme, the Trust is offering all 15 - 24 year olds attending an Outpatient clinic appointment the opportunity to be screened.
- Screening kits are available on all three hospital sites - Hemel Hempstead Hospital, St Albans City Hospital and Watford General Hospital
- Nursing staff within the Outpatient department have been fully trained by members of the NHS Hertfordshire (PCT) Chlamydia Screening Service
- The test is simple and painless and totally voluntary - YOU CAN REFUSE
- The Trust acknowledges some patients will opt to undertake the screening process with their General Practitioner
- Family planning services automatically offer the screening through the Genitourinary Medicine (GUM) clinics
- For extensive information regarding Sexual Health, please visit the Trust's dedicated Sexual Health website
- For more information visit the National Chlamydia Screening Programme website - see below - or you can call the sexual health helpline on: 0800 567 123 or text phone on: 0800 521 361
- NHS Choices - Sexual Health web site
- NHS Choices - Sex worth talking about
- Department of Health - Sexual Health and HIV web site
- Health Promotion Hertfordshire - Sexual Health web site
- Health Promotion Hertfordshire - HIV and Aids web site
- Health Promotion Hertfordshire - Teenage Pregnancy
- National Chlamydia Screening Programme